samedi 10 mars 2012

Mardi Gras in Senegal and Tajabone

In Senegal most events are for kids but adults and teens participate. Tajabone and Mardi Gras are two days when kids wear costumes. But there is a difference in the meaning of the event.
Tajabone is on the night of Tamharit which is a muslim celebration in Senegal. 
Mardi gras is on the day at the start of the Christian's fast.
But at both occasions, kids in Senegal dress up.
During Tajabone, men dress as women and women dress as men.
They wait till nightfall to go in houses asking for Ndeweneul, which is money, biscuits or cubes of sugar.
Before they are given this gift, they must either dance for the person or show off their costumes.
I always prepare some sweets for the kids that come. I love taking pictures with them.
But when night falls, I also dress in my costume. XD This year, I was really crazy. XD

And I went out with my niece, we danced all night and did riddiculous things. Sadly, all the kids recognised me afterwards and they always ask me about the costume.XD

During Mardi Gras, children wear any costume they like all day. You see superman, old men, pirates and other types of costumes. But the ones I like the most are the traditional costumes. It is nice to feel like you've returned to the old times and you return to the source. That's me in the pic with three girls that came to show me their costumes. I was generous =D I had fun.
In Senegal, both Christians and Muslims live in perfect harmony and these two celebrations really reflect it. We are all one and we always respect each other. There are many tribes in Senegal, but there is no conflict. We all live in unity, fighting against racisms, ethnocentrisms and other problems that can arise in such a mixed society.


1 commentaire: